Published on 05.30.2017
Rf system & Spectrum Engineer
Sigfox deploys its networks dedicated to IoT applications worldwide on the basis of unlicensed frequency bands under ETSI, FCC and other national standards and regulations.
As RF System & Spectrum Engineer, you will join the Practice Regulatory Affairs and Spectrum Management which is part of the Business Unit Operators. The successful candidate will be the focal point and technical expert for all activities related to Spectrum Engineering within the Practice.
Main activities are as follows:
- Manage operating parameters and frequency selection for global operation in 30 to 60 countries
- Coordinate HW/SW developments with Product Marketing and System teams in line with existing and new radio configurations
- Provide expertise and support to other Business Units and external partners (Operators, Channels and Eco-systems) and develop technical awareness inside the company
- Benchmark radio technologies and carry out coexistence and interference studies to sustain regulatory and network deployment strategies, either directly or with subcontractors
- Contribute to regulatory and standardization activities to promote SIGFOX technology throughout national and international processes (National Regulatory Authorities, CEPT, ITU…), in line with the Company's interests
- Carry out or contribute to the regulatory and related technical work-packages of in-house or external studies
- This position will require travel of approximately 20% of the time.
Manage Radio Spectrum Engineering activities :
The person in this role assumes a coordination and focal point position for other resources involved in these activities across the company
- Analyse legal and radio requirements to provide network and communications services in deployed countries and issue recommendations and specifications to marketing and engineering teams
- Keep up to date frequency plan and organize coordination meeting with all teams involved in frequency selection and radio configuration for hardware and software specification
- Provide expertise and support to other Sigfox teams in charge of Radio Access Network optimization and certification activities (Certification and type approval processes, interference troubleshooting and spectrum measurements)
- Provide expertise and coordinate with engineering teams and partners future developments and innovations
- Provide or contribute to the regulatory and related technical work-packages of in-house or external studies
Promote the company's interests during regulatory and spectrum negotiation cycles at national and international levels
- Carry out sharing, regulatory and technical studies to sustain the Sigfox strategy, either directly or with subcontractors
- Contribute to standardization project and work items and provide radio and spectrum expertise to regional spectrum mangers
- Develop and defend associated contributions to regional or national administrations (CEPT ECC SE, APT AWG, RCC….)
- Develop regulatory awareness, expertise and recognition on IoT systems in the regulatory arena
KEY SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- 5+ years’ experience in radio engineering for the implementation/design of low-power devices and/or deployment of wireless networks within operators or manufacturers
- Knowledge and experience in radio standardization, spectrum engineering and radio system architecture and design
- Understand business drivers for industry – regulatory – standards interactions
- Knowledge and practice of international radio regulations and standards (ITU, CEPT, ETSI, IEEE, FCC….)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, rigor, independence, strength of proposition, good faculty analysis and synthesis.
- English: Fluent. (other languages welcome: Russian, German, French…)
- Engineer degree or Master of Science in Radio Engineering