22 March 2017
Sigfox to transform global asset tracking with Sigfox Geolocation, the world’s cheapest Internet of Things (IoT) GPS-free geolocation service
- Sigfox introduces its first big data based service, built upon radio signal strength analysis and machine learning techniques
- Unlike traditional IoT geolocation services, Spot’it does not require any additional hardware, software or energy, making it the simplest and lowest cost IoT location service on the market
- With Spot’it, Sigfox anticipates new service opportunities from global asset-tracking to geo marketing and fraud management services
Sigfox has announced a new “GPS-free” Internet of Things (IoT) geolocation service which provides a highly economical way of tracking large numbers of assets around the world.
Enabled by Sigfox’s global network, now spanning 31 countries, Sigfox Geolocation is a new asset-tracking service which enables any existing Sigfox module to become a geolocation device, without the need to perform retrofit or hardware or software upgrades. The service key benefits include:
- Lowest-cost IoT location service: Sigfox Geolocation does not require any additional hardware or software upgrades, and the device does not have to transmit more messages, meaning there is no impact on the solution operating cost for customers.
- Preserving low energy: Sigfox Geolocation does not rely on energy intensive GPS technology, nor require additional processing or any more energy than what Sigfox-enabled devices already consume.
- Enabled through a planetary network: Sigfox Geolocation is embedded in Sigfox’s global network footprint and represents the first global IoT geolocation offer. This allows the simplification of global supply chain management: once a device is registered into the Sigfox Cloud, the geolocation service is available in all territories where the network is present.
- Unlike traditional GPS-tracking, Sigfox Geolocation works both indoor and outdoor.
Sigfox Geolocation has been specifically designed to unlock tracking capabilities for asset-intensive industries in markets such as supply chain and logistics (tracking of pallets, containers, trailers, ...), agriculture, retail, construction. As Sigfox’s communication modules are as low as $2 and require very little energy consumption with batteries lasting for up to two decades, the service makes it highly economical to track virtually any object.
Traditionally, companies have tracked their assets in transit by either scanning at the point of contact, or through GPS tracking. However, scanning at points of contact is often prone to error and loss in between touch points. Additionally, aside from the high cost of GPS hardware, the energy intensive operation means there is a high maintenance cost associated in continually replacing batteries. As such, GPS tracking is reserved for tracking high value goods and is uneconomical for tracking mass freight or assets.
“Sigfox Geolocation is not only set to transform the global freight industry, but we anticipate that new services will be developed. Imagine a new service where shipping companies can be alerted when containers stray into regions that they aren’t supposed to be in. From fraud detection to new insurance and geo-marketing business models, the possibilities are endless.” said Laetitia Jay, Chief Marketing Officer.
- ENDS –
Press Contacts, Laurence Collet, Sigfox
Laurence.firstname.lastname@example.org - + 33 7 86 27 36 43
Simon Chan, Edelman for Sigfox
email@example.com, +44 (0)7875 198 091